Public sector equality duty
Mount Street Academy is committed to developing policies and practice that raise attainment for all children and close the gap between those facing disadvantage and their peers. Under the Equality Act 2010 we have a legal duty to publish information to demonstrate compliance with Public Sector Equality Duty of that Act.
The school’s general duties relating to equality, are to:
- Eliminate discrimination and other conduct that is prohibited by the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
- Foster good relations between people of all characteristics.
There are the nine protected characteristics under the Equality Act. We will not discriminate against, harass or victimise any pupil, prospective pupil, or other member of the school community because of their race, disability, sex, age, religion or belief, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, or gender reassignment.
As a school our equality objectives are:
- To reduce the gap in attainment between boys and girls.
- To reduce the gap in attendance between non-disadvantaged and disadvantaged students.
- To reduce the gap in exclusions between SEND and non-SEND students.
Further information, including a report on how well we are meeting our equality objectives, can be found below.