Art and design
At Mount Street Academy, we are artists! We want our children to love art and design. We want them to have no limits in their ambitions and to grow up knowing they could be illustrators, graphic designers, architects or printmakers of the future.
We believe all children are artists and want them to develop their artistic talents though having opportunities to experiment, invent and create work of their own, as well as to think and talk about artists and artwork.
We know that through art and design, children’s creativity, curiosity, resilience, confidence and independence is developed. We want children to remember their art and design learning in school and be provided with opportunities which they may not automatically have, or may be out of reach, in their home life.
We want children to appreciate how art and design reflects and has shaped our history and how it contributes to the culture, creativity and wealth of our society. We are committed to putting art and design on the map at Mount Street Academy.
Our art curriculum provides opportunities for children to:
- Think critically and respond to a range of artists’ work.
- Develop an art-rich vocabulary and use visual language with confidence (for example, line, shape, pattern, colour, texture, form) to express emotions, develop observations and communicate thoughts and ideas.
- Plan, draft and develop skills.
- Produce creative work, explore their ideas and record their experiences.
- Develop their understanding of techniques in drawing, painting, sculpture, printing and textiles.
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art and design.
- Know about great artists and designers, including local artists.
- Understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- Visit local art galleries and participate in art and design workshops facilitated by an artist.
You can find a full description of our art and design curriculum intent, implementation and impact in the Art and Design Quality of Education (QED) document below.